Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Walt Disney World Restaurant Review Thread

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Walt Disney World Restaurant Review Thread

Postby ajp » Tue May 08, 2012 12:50 pm

A slightly different twist on this thread, but highly relevant.

Dining with Allergies in WDW

Emily has a allergies identified as a FODMAP allergies, which essentially means she cannot have anything with any level of Fructose. As this is many things including Dairy and Wheat products, we just simply said that she had both Dairy and Wheat Allergies and threw in Onions as well.

The process for WDW is that when you make a booking for a Table Service restaurant, that you provide the information on the booking. Then when you arrive, you need to inform the server and they then make arrangements.

Informing the server isn't really necessary anyway, because the bookings have already got the information, but it's best to anyway. The chef then comes to the table and discusses what is available, asks what the person wants and then they come up with a compromise or solution that is safe. The chef then has to prepare the food them selves in the correct settings, ie separate to the other food and then the food is bought to the table separate to the other meals.

For the counter service options, it is similar. When you get to the front, simply inform the server person that you have allergies, and they go and get the chef. The chef comes out, mostly with a book, and then you decide what you want. The chef tells the server what to record and then the remaining order is taken. Chef will prepare the food themselves and bring it out themselves, no-one else is allowed to touch it.

We were worried about Emily eating, but whilst we were on a Disney property (including the Ship), she ate as well as we did, sometimes better! Taking a child or anyone with food allergies to any Disney destination (US) is a pain free, simple and worry free task.

The Ships are much better, they actually take your order the evening before for the next night and it is prepared separately and ready when other meals are. At the buffets, chef takes them around and discusses the ingredients of each dish and says yes you can or no you shouldn't eat something.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Fantastic info ajp.. as someone that has multiple allergies and food sensitivities, I didn't realise that was possible, which is in part, why I mostly ate from carts and things I could readily identify the main ingredients in last time I was at DL.

Very helpful indeed. Thanks for sharing. :D
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Lisa, DL is the same, they were very good as well. One of our better quick serve experiences the whole trip was from the one in Tomorrowland at DL. There is no need to worry in future just tell them and they will help.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks ajp, I'll definitely make sure I say something this time :)
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 pm

The story I just posted in the News section seems like an incredibly comprehensive look at the food options in WDW. Possibly a good trip planning aid.

Greg 
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”