Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

On or off site

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

On or off site

Postby calisota » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm

If I was to go to WDW (and who knows, i may :-)  ) what are your opinions on staying on site as opposed to off site?

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Re: On or off site

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:38 pm

I loved Art of Animation and so easy to get around with the buses, plus get shopping sent back to the room - however we kept forgetting so only did this once and that's probably not a selling point for you.  I've never stayed off site so can't compare.  To be honest considering how long we were in the parks each day I can't imagine having to get to a hotel further away, I'd get no sleep at all!!
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

The price staying offsite is what makes it attractive. I did it my one other time there and while it was cheaper it did mean having to be ready at a particular time for the bus to the Park and then ready to go when it left in the evening to go back. It would be so much more convenient to be able to duck back to the room when I wanted. Art of Animation looks good, how much time and effort did it take to get from there to any particular Park?

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 pm

It was super easy as there is are clear signs and buses go to each park separately so you're not making multiple stops.  Of the 6 days we were there, only once did a bus make another stop and that was to a water park.  Buses are frequent going to and from the parks and I don't remember waiting long at all.  In the evening after the fireworks when hoards of park goers are headed home, the lines move pretty quick and while sometimes there's a bit of a wait it was never excessive and probably only seemed long being night and I was exhausted.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Good to hear. I noticed all the bus stops as I trudged past each evening on the way to the big public car park and my "outside hotels" bus. 

I don't think I'd really be missing out on too much American culture by virtually living in the Park. There must also be a convenient way to get to Universal, wouldn't want to be that close to Harry Potter without having a look.

Do Park tickets come with the room?

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:23 pm

We booked the room on Hotels.com however I'm sure there's ways to book both together.  My sister booked that part of the trip and I just showed up.  I can't comment on getting around, we stayed at Universal for a night on arrival and did a full day at the park before catching a taxi to WDW at night, then did the 6 days there.  Keith & Della did a day trip to Universal from WDW last year so may have some good advice on this.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 pm

I usually book through booking.com but that's because I'm a partner and get a commission on any bookings through my ID. ( http://www.booking.com/index.html?aid=884750 if anyone is thinking of booking a hotel soon :-)

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 am

My turn :)

Yep - we prefer staying onsite and I agree with Karen - The Art of Animation is a great spot (as is Pop Century). It is pretty central to everything but has better theming than Pop Century. I also think Art of Animation has the best food court of all the value resorts. It is a bit more expensive though for singles and couples as they only have one section that isn't family suites (The Little Mermaid area) - so that forces a higher price-point compared to Pop.

Getting to Universal for the day was fairly easy. We just booked a Mears town car to pick us up in the morning from The Art of Animation lobby and drop us off at one of the Universal Hotels. We then walked to parks. Likewise we had a 9pm pick up from that same hotel to drop us off at Art of Animation. It was cheapish and easy - I just booked it online and paid upfront.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm

We just booked a Mears town car to pick us up in the morning from The Art of Animation lobby and drop us off at one of the Universal Hotels.  We then walked to parks.  Likewise we had a 9pm pick up from that same hotel to drop us off at Art of Animation.  It was cheapish and easy - I just booked it online and paid upfront.
Never heard of them. An uber like thing?
Greg

Raven+BenLovesDisney
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Raven+BenLovesDisney » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm really sorry that this is not related to the topic but I am new and don't know how to use the forums, I don't know how to start a new one.

My question is does anyone know when I will be able to view prices for WDW October 2018? And also
Is there a number I can call from Australia to call Disney world direct? I'd rather talk on the phone as emails take so long to get back.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Here is the WDW page with all their phone numbers - take your pick :)
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/phone/
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm really sorry that this is not related to the topic but I am new and don't know how to use the forums, I don't know how to start a new one.
Welcome to the DUD (Down Under Disney) forum. :-)

Looks like you've figured it out. Any other questions, Disney related or not, just ask, we like to show off our knowledge. ;-)

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Walt Disney World”