Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Multimedia: Disney debuts Virtual Magic Kingdom

The lastest news in the world of Disney
calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun May 29, 2005 1:32 pm

I've put this on the "Disney News" page off the main page but figured I'd mention it here as well so that anyone who has a look can talk about it. It looks pretty cool. :D

Greg

The Walt Disney Company has launched a new online experience to go along with Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. It's called Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK), and it allows you to walk through the park playing games, shopping in shops, and chatting with people from all over the world.

Players can explore the Magic Kingdom as a customizable character and play games in the different worlds, including a naval game based on Pirates of the Caribbean, a fireworks competition, and a hunt for hidden Mickeys. With the credits earned from the games, players can buy new furnishings for their virtual houses.

VMK is currently in beta testing, so the game is not yet complete. However, it is free.

Visit the VMK homepage to sign up and play.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun May 29, 2005 1:39 pm

I've registered (I think) but when I try to enter the game I only get as far as a screen that starts to load and then says "Disconnected: Your connection was lost, please log into the game again". :(

Anyone else having any more luck? Yeah, I know it's for 10-14 year olds but I'd still like to have a go. :D

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:16 pm

Okay, a couple of days, many attempts and a couple of different browsers and I'm still having the same problem :evil:

Is anyone else having any success?

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

VMK and Buzz Lightyear Beta

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:03 am

Hello Greg, you got further than I did...

When registering, it would only allow me to put in an address of United States, Canada or Mexico...

So I skipped that part (and it seemed to be going okay) then I got a registration error message which looked like a server problem at their end.

I'll try again this weekend using IE instead of Firefox.

I know VMK is still in beta, so maybe we'll just have to wait a while until it is opened to the general public. I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

Don't forget to give the new Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters game a go!!

It is available at http://www.disneyland.com/buzz

There is a link on the page titled: "Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster Interactive Experience". Click it and it will download the game.

It looks pretty cool so far, and when you play online, if you hit certain targets, it lights up targets at the Disneyland Buzz Lightyear attraction! If a guest at the park hits that lit target, you get a chance to rescue one of the little green aliens! Pretty cool...

Also - the registration process was flawless...

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: VMK and Buzz Lightyear Beta

Postby calisota » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:24 am

Hello Greg, you got further than I did...
It's good to know that I'm not the only one having a problem. :)

Don't forget to give the new Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters game a go!!

I've had a look and downloaded everything but from then I haven't been able to get it to open. I was stumped for a little while until I remembered that my nvidia graphics card died a painful death a while ago and I've been surviving on the card on the motherboard. I think you need a better card than that to run it. It may be the impetus I need to buy a new card. :D

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Astroblasters is heavily 3D oriented. You'll need a decent card to get it up and running smoothly.

It looks pretty impressive and even has a fastpass system! To play online you need to join a queue so that you get a slot in-sync with the players in Disneyland, however so far, the queue line has been short (less than 60 seconds.)

I would think this will get longer as more people become aware of it.

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:09 am

So you're actually playing with someone in Disneyland? :D

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:10 pm

So you're actually playing with someone in Disneyland?
Something like that. You play with one other person online, shooting 3D bad guys. Then, if you or your team mate hits a particular target - special targets in Disneyland light up. If players in Disneyland hit those special lit targets, you then get to rescue the little Aliens...sounds complicated, but it appears to work!

Makes more sense when you get it up and running.

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 am

The techs at work are always upgrading their systems for the latest and greatest so I'll ask them if they have an old card they are willing to let go cheap. If I get one I'll let you know what I think. I have been downloading a few things with bittorrent lately so a better card would probably make them look better as well.

Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:50 pm

I've just added another story about the Virtual Magic Kingdom on the "Disney News" page.

I'm still unable to log in. :(

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”