Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

COVID19 Thread

The lastest news in the world of Disney
calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: COVID19 Thread

Postby calisota » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm just waiting for the Americans, at some point in the future, to start saying "we only have 1,000 people a day dying at the moment so we should be allowed to travel unimpeded, as is our right".

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 am

And now Victoria is back in lock down - I think this is the new normal.

My work is making us all go back to the office fulltime - even for us that have to catch public transport. I went in two days last week and will be full time again from Monday.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:46 pm

My work is making us all go back to the office fulltime - even for us that have to catch public transport. I went in two days last week and will be full time again from Monday.

Good luck Keith, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :shock:

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:02 pm

Sorry to hear Keith; hope all stays well down there so you can stay safe when on public transport.

Traffic in Brisbane is pretty much getting back to pre-COVID. It was toward the end of last year, however I've really noticed it this year so I'd guess that many offices up here have taken the same stance on workers returning to offices. In start contrast, my nephew's company (on NSW central coast) didn't renew their office lease as they all work permanently from home and they just rent meeting rooms on a needs basis.
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:34 pm

In start contrast, my nephew's company (on NSW central coast) didn't renew their office lease as they all work permanently from home and they just rent meeting rooms on a needs basis.
That is really interesting. I wonder what percentage of businesses are in exactly this situation and just how much it is going to change the world.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:03 am

Hey Greg - what's happening in your part of the world these days?

We are all pretty much in lockdown again. Here in Sydney, my local area even has a curfew from 9pm to 5am, and we are only allowed outside for 1 hour a day for exercise (they had it better on Alcatraz LOL).

Got my first vaccination last Friday and have number two due on 10 Sept, so at least that program seems to be running okay now.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Hey Greg - what's happening in your part of the world these days?
For me it's not having too much of an effect, apart from no international travel.

Up north in Chiang Mai things are much better than some other parts of the country - cough Bangkok cough - with lower numbers, probably lower than where you are. Most things are open, although restaurants are not allowed to sell booze even though you can still buy it in supermarkets and 7/11. I can still do all the things I want to do, just with a mask on, which is such a habit now it would feel strange to go out without one.

I am due to have my second vaccination tomorrow. I got put a bit further up the waiting list than some because I am over 100kg. That weight puts me in the "at risk" category which is probably true if you are the height of the average Thai person but not for me at 194cm tall. But, oh well, happy to get it. Thailand is trying to get to that magical 80% vaccinated number so they can start to open up to other countries because the lack of tourists is making life real tough for a lot of people.

Greg

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:54 pm

How is everyone? Even back when someone was at Disney or planning a trip this forum wasn't overly populated, however with so many lockdowns and lack of trips we have all gradually stopped posting. Just wanted to check in on everyone who is coming to the forum :)

I'll admit I haven't seen much Disney+ lately but did watch a good number of Christmas movies through December! My Christmas decs are all down and I've decorated for Chinese New Year. Really enjoying seeing my Hong Kong and Shanghai purchases.

Personally I'd say my next Disney trip will be early 2023 to WDW to experience Festival of the Arts and the Flower and Garden Festival. I'm hoping the 50th celebrations will go that long so I can celebrate the last days of being 50 while there! If not, well I have no doubt I'll still have an amazing time!

Anyone else considering plans?
1996: Disneyland & Epcot | 2001: EuroDisney | 2014: DLR & DLRP | 2015: WDW | 2017: DLR, Aulani, TDR | 2018: DLR | 2020: SDR & HKDL | 2023: WDW

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm

How is everyone? Even back when someone was at Disney or planning a trip this forum wasn't overly populated, however with so many lockdowns and lack of trips we have all gradually stopped posting. Just wanted to check in on everyone who is coming to the forum :)
I'm good, thanks for asking. :D

Got my third shot yesterday so that, along with my norm of being anti-social, should keep me good for a while.

Things are still very changeable here in Thailand as far as travelling in or out of the country. Daily changes of mind by the government are certainly the norm but, as much as some people may complain, it seems to be the same for every country. I still get to do my daily walking, coffee shop sitting and restaurant eating so it could be much worse.

The only thing that is getting to me is the routine of it. In the past there was always some way to mark the passage of time, usually counting down to a trip somewhere. Now I find myself looking at my phone and thinking "Oh, Sunday again. Time to go to that restaurant for my once a week full English breakfast. Wow, where did that week go?! " It's just starting to feel like I'm marking time rather than doing anything.

I am getting through a lot of books though, as well as a few other little hobbies, but I really want to go somewhere and feel like I've had an adventure again and accomplished something.

Not that I'm complaining about my lot in life. Many people who are doing it much harder than me and I can only hope it all opens up some time soon.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu May 26, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi Greg - I'm still alive. Just been busy at home follow Della's mum passing away. Now we are working on renovating our home - currently we are getting a kitchen installed.
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi Greg - I'm still alive. Just been busy at home follow Della's mum passing away. Now we are working on renovating our home - currently we are getting a kitchen installed.
I'm sorry about Della's mother :(

I'm a little surprised that you didn't already have a kitchen. The next thing you should look at is an indoor toilet. :-)

I'm starting to look at travelling again, certainly before the end of the year. The restrictions for getting back into Thailand are loosening up and that was always more of an issue than getting into another country. Australia will be first on the list, to placate my family and who knows after that. I have a friend in Mexico who I might visit after a quick stop in Orlando. I really don't know when/if it's going to be practical to get to HKDL and Japan is being really slow t open up.

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:20 pm

Yep - I'm not planning on travelling any time soon. Just using this period as a good opportunity to improve the house (need that indoor toilet) while I'm not spending money on travel.

Hopefully we'll start looking at trips again in the future - maybe next year. I think Japan would be first on our list as long as they've opened up a bit more freely by then.

Hope you are going okay up there!
Keith

Trip history:

DisneyKaren
D Ticket
D Ticket

Postby DisneyKaren » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:50 am

Great to see everyone still has a sense of humour after the craziness of the past couple of years!

I'd love to travel overseas this year, however am planning my belated 50th trip to WDW for Feb/Mar next year. While the start and end of the trip will be whichever Value Resort offers the best price, I will splurge for 2-3 nights around my birthday which is unfortunately the start of President's weekend so we want to book not long after 2023 rooms are released. I was a little excited when I found out we can do activities at any hotel as long as we're staying on property (I'm easily impressed). Views? Prettiest room? Nicest gardens? Too many choices :?

I have lots of masks so will definitely wear them on planes and at airports, then will consider in crowds as well. While the cloth ones don't rate as well I figure it's some protection from colds/flus/COVID so will keep them up as I feel appropriate.

Will be wonderful when people are travelling again and hopefully put reviews up here, I love travelling through others :)

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:03 pm

We both missed our 50th birthdays Karen - we'll need to have a joint party when we can :)
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:36 pm

We both missed our 50th birthdays Karen - we'll need to have a joint party when we can :)
Damn, I'm looking at my 60th in a couple of years so you are making me feel old. :shock:

I've been dutifully saving my money for the last couple of years as well and only have a couple of years to go before I can access my super. That's when the travelling will really begin.

Things are starting to open up in Thailand. You can enter the country pretty easily at the moment as long as you are vaccinated and have travel insurance. Just need to put the details of both into a Thai government website and you get a QR code to flash at the airport. It's just the 48 hour wait in the check-in queue in Australia that's putting me off. :)

My biggest problem is that I'm the type of person who wakes up one morning thinking "I would like to take a trip", then the next morning thinking "I would like to move into a nicer condo" and the next thinking "that TV's looking really small" etc, etc.

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”