Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Today's Disney News from the front page...

The lastest news in the world of Disney

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Today's Disney News from the front page...

Postby ajp » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:57 pm

Having seen all the marketing for Force Awakens, you don't really take much in until you read it in an article like that one. That's a lot of marketing!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 am

That marketing article was excellent!

I guess that shows the power of the Disney Machine - how they can leverage all their divisions in a seemingly cohesive way.  Look at the products Disney have produced for Star Wars this year - there is hardly a demographic sector that you couldn't buy a Star Wars related Christmas gift for. The idea of combining Lucasfilm characters to Disney's cross-sell marketing via consumer products, theme parks, and media outlets (ESPN, ABC etc) was brilliant.  And they are doing the same with the Marvel and Pixar brands too.  It seems a far cry from when Disney were producing clunker films starring John Travolta like Wild Hogs...
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I liked Wild Hogs. :(

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:35 pm

It was a marketing and merchandising match made in heaven but it makes me wonder what happened with John Carter. Did they have a complete change of marketing department?

How are they going to keep topping this, both marketing wise and production wise, if they produce regular Star Wars movies? Or would it be better to stay in the same universe but explore side issues and characters?

Greg

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:06 pm

haha, FINALLY some of my uni courses are proving useful.
I normally wouldn't have been all that interested in this discussion about marketing and such... but after an entire year of horizontal and vertical integration of multi nationals ( and similar) and cross platform marketing, this all finally makes sense ;)

And oh yeah, I agree with whatever you said :lol:

Disney were one of the first to start buying horizontally/vertically for the purpose of cross platform selling so I think they're way out in front as far as continuing it goes and I don't think they'll change that any time soon.  
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:18 am

Or would it be better to stay in the same universe but explore side issues and characters?
I think that is their plan.  Next year we get Star Wars: Rogue One, which is the back story of the team of mercenaries who managed to steal the Death Star plans and hand them over to the Rebel Alliance (which of course Princess Leia then copies into R2D2 at the start of the original movie.)
And in 2018, we get the Hans Solo back story which shows how Han becomes a mercenary, gets a price on his head from Jabba the Hutt, and acquires the Millennium Falcon (and I assume his friendship with Lando Calrissian too).
So yes there is a plan to do side-stories away from the main story-arc which means plenty more toys, books, games, and mascara to come!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:47 pm

So yes there is a plan to do side-stories away from the main story-arc which means plenty more toys, books, games, and mascara to come!
But, as I understand all the outrage, so much of the mythos that's been generated over the last few decades is now null and void?
Greg

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Keith, if you aren't pawning the family silver right now so you can buy that Legacy Collection then I'll eat my hat. :-)

Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection [28 CD Box Set]

Or you can buy them individually.

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 pm

I liked Wild Hogs. :(

Greg
So did I.

With the side stories etc being produced, it's testament to Disneys ability to tell a story as well as market it which sets them aside from the competition. What they've done with Marvel and now Star Wars is much more than the original owners could possibly imagine.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm interested to see if Disney makes any move onto the Apple TV following Igers comments in that article.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm interested to see if Disney makes any move onto the Apple TV following Igers comments in that article.
I imagine they have the clout to make any deal they want,  even with Apple, and will be loath to miss out on any platform. 
Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”