Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

My Magic

The lastest news in the world of Disney
churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

My Magic

Postby churros » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Disney CEO Iger throws hissy fit over Congressman’s theme park privacy concerns http://skift.com/2013/01/29/disney-ceo- ... -concerns/

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: My Magic

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

This really has touched a raw nerve with Iger. I thought some of the questions were fair enough and I had expected a measured and thoughtful response by Disney - instead, we got quite a caning from Iger! It was quite a defensive retort which makes you wonder about some of their motives.

Personally, I don't care if I get tracked around WDW and characters call me by my name - that's pretty cool. I'm going to spend bucket loads at Disney anyway, so if they market stuff directly to me, then it is probably stuff I would have bought anyway. Big corporations collect data, we all use Google, Facebook, etc etc - this is just another to add to your list of non-privacy :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am

I was a bit wary of this new program even before Igers outburst, so this hasn't really put my concerns to rest one bit.

I LOVE some of the features, and think it would make for an extra sprinkle of magic. However, I'm not too keen on the shopping tracking, or even the ride tracking. For me, my shopping tastes will and often do, change dramatically from day to day depending on who I'm purchasing for. I would hate to see the diversity of available products shrink in response to shopping 'trends'.
I also wouldn't like to see certain rides closed for maintenance based on what multiple people chose to ride at a certain time of year, as their choices might be based on who they were traveling with rather than what they'd choose if they were with other people or solo. For those who only visit intermittently, their choices may be vastly different the next time they visit so the magic chosen for them might not be what they want the next visit.

I am heartened by the fact that children are well protected by their terms and conditions, but am not as convinced that adults will be given quite as much choice other than to opt out all together.

Also, for those taking part, it is feasible that they will be offered magical extra's that in the past would be randomly distributed. So you are in fact, having to pay extra for that previously unscripted and free memory maker, further disadvantaging those who opt out. Which in turn, would force most to opt in, for fear of missing out on moments that you treasure forever.

Not sure when I became so cynical, but I really enjoy the anonymous aspect of wandering the park. While I know we are all being monitored to a degree in any park, I don't really want to be so aware of it. I guess I'm seeing more benefits on the corporate side than the visitor side.
And i wouldn't want a character to address me by name like they know me... the 'been waiting to meet you all of m y life' aspect is part of the charm, otherwise, it could be too much like an every day visit rather than a dream holiday.

just my 20cents.
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 am

I'm not too fussed on the information gathering and tracking. Technology and information is the 21st century "thing" so Disney using it in this way I feel, is quite clever. being able to customise the day how you choose, whether its alot or a little will suit the majority. And if they have a little of an idea what we'll be eating, drinking, buying or riding, then that may assist a little as well. Afterall, if you don't want to do something they suggest you don't have to.

As for collecting data for improved maintenance schedules and times, I see this as a huge bonus. Although, you'll find that the data will be used to support people's arguments that will be based on gut feel and experience. Having worked extensively with data in the past and forecasting etc, you'll find that not much will change. And better decisions will be made. Let's not kid ourselves they already have a bucket load of data already, you'll find that the analysts had a brainstorming session and identified the types of data they would like to further improve their work, and then the marketers came up with this which will help marketing, operations and the analysts.

And there will still be moments of magic, that will make us all go WOW!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”