Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Happy Halloween

The lastest news in the world of Disney
Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Happy Halloween

Postby Gerard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:05 pm

In case you have not seen it, check out this clever video

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/10/v ... encounter/

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Happy Halloween

Postby ajp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:39 pm

That's pretty good, I enjoyed that.

Lisa, don't watch! :lol:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 pm

:lol:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 pm

Lisa, don't watch! :lol:

Ohhhh... now I want to see what I shouldn't watch :shock:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:33 am

While I like Halloween when I'm in the US, I find it awkward here at home. We only had one knock on the door last night and we didn't bother opening! :P

There just isn't that whole of community feel in this country towards Halloween - it sort of feels poorly shoe-horned into our society. Maybe in twenty years time it'll be all the rage, but its take up has been slow.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 am

I agree Keith, and I'll go one step further and say that I don't believe that it should be integrated into Australian culture at all. It's only being thrust upon us by the retailers with no understanding or appreciation of what or why it is. We have been watching American TV for decades and been exposed to Halloween, but until the shops started selling the stuff, it never started to infuse into the our minds as something we had to do. I wonder how many know it is an Irish festival anyway?

Thankfully for the kids, we had no knocks on our door last night, they were going to get a cold reception. And it's not bah humbug, I just don't see the relevance in Australian culture.

However I would love to see it celebrated in America and witness how they go all out with their decorating and costuming. But I'm happy to lave it there.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Love the video! Inside the Magic is my favourite podcast - I've been listening to it since it's first couple of episodes and think it's one of the best produced podcasts of any genre.

As for Halloween - we love it! What's not to love about getting to watch the kids get dressed up (and I got dressed up last night too) and having a great time? Not to mention chocolate. How can any celebration be bad when it involves chocolate?!?!?
-/ -/ -/
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:17 pm

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I think I am going to agree with both sides here.

I LOVE Halloween... we have dressed up and celebrated for as long as I can remember - particularly since my kids were little, and we still get together to do the same. Candy corn, decorations and costumes are always part of the mix. but then I would celebrate the opening of an envelope :)

Now, here is where Halloween in Australia annoys me. The retailers have ZERO idea what its about and how its meant to be done. They put out 12 packs of lollies when they should be doing 50 packs... for a reasonable price. The put unwrapped lollies on special when you can't give them out. I also noticed that the 'halloween' pumpkins were double the KG price this year too, even when they were locally grown so I refused to buy one for the first time in years.
Honestly, if its going to be adopted here, then something akin to a 'rules of engagement' needs to be made more commonly aware.
No costume - no lollies. No knocking on doors that clearly aren't decorated... that sort of thing.

Its a tough one, cos a lot of people have no idea why they're doing it either. Like it or not, I think its here to stay though, cos once the big retailers get a whiff of some easy money, its all over.

The upside this year though is I want to buy buzz/woody costumes for my nephews for Christmas and the Disney store has them cheaper now -/ -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”