Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disneyland in Australia

The lastest news in the world of Disney
calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Disneyland in Australia

Postby calisota » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:48 am

So what's everyones thoughts on the odds of a park being built in Queensland?

I'm pretty happy with the idea since it would probably get built just up the road from me and I'd be first in line for a job. :D

Greg

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:28 pm

I've got mixed feelings about a park in Australia.

My first thought was wow - how good would that be, we could go whenever we like. Got a spare weekend? Let's head up to Disneyland...

...but then I think - one of the things that makes going to a Disney park so special for us is that they are so far away. The planning and anticipation make finally getting there all the more special. Being able to pop up to QLD on a long weekend etc would mean some of that shine would be gone.

Still, like you Greg, I'd be willing to try for some sort of job - I've almost paid off the home loan now, so I by the time they build one, I could take a big wage cut :)

Will they build one though? I don't think they would. They already have the Asian market tied up with Tokyo and Hong Kong, so people living there wont bother. The US market is okay with their parks, and Europe is well served with both Paris and the short hop to Orlando. I just don't think we have the population to support it, and we are so far away from the rest of the world...

I heard that Michael Eisner and Rob Iger were recently in India on a goodwill tour - now that is a big market, and with their growth in technology and service industries, there is a large pool of disposable income plus a decent tourist industry...

Anyway, we will just have to wait and see - maybe they will announce something at the Disneyland 50th on July 17...

KeithS

James
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby James » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:48 pm

I had actually heard that Disney was looking at making it in Sydney, at the Wonderland site. I don't think that it will do too well though, if they decide to build it.
-James
Saturday Disney Rocks!
I'm 13 and proud of it!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:16 am

I don't think that it will do too well though, if they decide to build it.-James

Do you mean if it's in Sydney or no matter where they build it?

I see what you mean Keith about some of the shine being taken off it if it's easily accessible and that may be even more of a problem if you work there. Coming in as a guest and just seeing the parts they want you to see creates the magic. Seeing what goes on behind the scenes would tend to take a bit of that away.

I would still be queueing up for a job though. :D

I love theme parks even though I'm scared of heights and refuse to go on any ride that gets more than 3 feet off the ground. I'm just fascinated by creating the whole world and the detail that goes into it, something that Disney are the masters of. I remember reading somewhere that in the main station of the Disneyland Railroad is a telegraph machine that is doing morse code to add to the atmosphere. The thing that amazed me was that it isn't just random dots and dashes someone recorded, it's actually Walt's opening day address done in morse code. It's that attention to detail that fascinates me and why I would love to work in one of the parks.

Greg

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

Disneyland in Queensland

Postby gabrielle2106 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:12 pm

Hi, I'm new here, Vicki, from Victoria. I seem to remember years ago Disney looked at Queensland and decided against it. One thing for certain it would kill Dream World.. I can't see it happening, we just aren't a big enough market. They couldn't make the Disney Stores work here, today's kids aren't as subject to the Disney phenomena as us slightly older ones are. My family has only been to Disneyland twice, we're going again next year, but if they built one in Qld, we'd move up there just to be within driving distance. I don't agree with the statement about if its closer its not as appealing, I have friends that life within walking distance of WDW and they go twice a week, even if its just for coffee to sit in Main street and watch people go by.
Vicki

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:47 pm

even though I'm scared of heights and refuse to go on any ride that gets more than 3 feet off the ground

Hey - me too. You should have seen me on the giant ferris wheel in California Adventure - it was the only ride that freaked me out, and we weren't in the cages that rock - it was gentle and civilised - but I still didn't like it.

On the otherhand, I loved the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and California Screamin' - go figure...
even if its just for coffee to sit in Main street and watch people go by

Now I can imagine myself doing that too, just soaking up the atmosphere and music. Della and I spent a lot of time sitting on the veranda of the Plaza Inn, eating, relaxing and watching everyone - knowing all the time how lucky we were just to be sitting there in the sun... Now I'm just hanging to return.

KeithS

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:31 am

Hey - me too. You should have seen me on the giant ferris wheel in California Adventure - it was the only ride that freaked me out, and we weren't in the cages that rock - it was gentle and civilised - but I still didn't like it.

I worked at Dreamworld one christmas as a ride operator when I was between "real jobs". One of the rides I spent a lot of time on was the Thunderbolt, getting people on and off etc. I used to stand at the head of the queue as it was going around and the most common question I got asked by the people waiting was what the ride was like. My reply was always "I don't know, you couldn't pay me to go on that thing". That always got me a look of surprise and fear. :D
even if its just for coffee to sit in Main street and watch people go by

I have a season pass for Dreamworld and the ability to just go out there for an hour or two and sit and watch the Tigers makes it worthwhile.

Hi Vicki. I knew a couple who lived within...I was going to say walking distance but no one in LA walks...a couple of minutes of Disneyland and they loved to go in the evenings and listen to the different bands and groups that would play in the park over summer.

Australia alone may not be a big enough market to sustain a Disneyland but they may not build one quite as big as the existing parks, at least not at first. I also doubt that they would be relying on locals. They may look at pushing the whole Australian experience to to the Yanks, Poms and Arabs.

Greg

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

Queensland Disney?

Postby gabrielle2106 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:13 am

I can't see them building one here, the Asian market is well and truely catered for with Tokyo and now HongKong...the poms aren't far from Paris...why would they come all the way here to see something they can see in their own backyards...
We've toyed with going to Tokyo or Paris but for me, nothing means Disneyland like the original...growing up watching too much tv i guess.
Vicki

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Queensland Disney?

Postby calisota » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:34 pm

We've toyed with going to Tokyo or Paris but for me, nothing means Disneyland like the original...growing up watching too much tv i guess. Vicki

If I had a choice I would have to pick Walt Disney World. The only one I've been to is Disneyland but WDW seems to offer so much more. Certainly the sort of place where a couple of days would not be enough.

Greg

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

couple of days

Postby gabrielle2106 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Well, our first trip we took 2 days at DL, second trip we took 5 days at DL, when we got home and realised how much we missed we decided that next year we are going to stay 18ish days, and the reason we aren't going to WDW is that I don't feel that it would be enough time to do justice to WDW...i think you need at least that time for DL>..
Vicki

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:13 pm

The last time I went to Disneyland was about (horrors) 6 years ago and I travelled with 2 girls. As part of the package deal we got we had 5 day passes and 5 days in LA to use them. We were staying just a short walk from the Park entrance so one the day we arrived we all headed off, me a little more excitedly than the girls. We had a great day but at the end of it they both decided that they had seen enough of Disneyland and never went back again!

I did go with them on trips to Universal studios and the San Diego Zoo but even on those days I managed to get back to Disneyland in the evenings even if it was only to watch the fireworks. On the days the girls decided to go shopping I was more than happy to spend the day in the park on my own.

I'm guessing that there is even more to see now than there was 6 years ago?

Greg

gabrielle2106
A Ticket
A Ticket

6 years on

Postby gabrielle2106 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:30 pm

Well there is much more to see now...california adventure park, space mountain etc etc etc...its only been 18 months since we were there but I can't believe how much is new now...of course new shows etc. My family and I were really busting to get there for the Anniversary but we just can't swing it until next year...but come September2 next year, we're on that plane...
Vicki

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm going to post my reply in the "Disneyland" section of the forum, just to keep it on topic. Keep reading over there. :D

Greg

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”