Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disneyland Australia

The lastest news in the world of Disney
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Disneyland Australia

Postby KeithS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm

What could have been! Take a look at the article from our friends at Disney and More. Not only have they uncovered site plans of a Gold Coast Disney Resort concept, they also found concept art! I urge you all to click the link below and then come back here and discuss!

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -that.html
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disneyland Australia

Postby ajp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Where do you start. It's nice to know that there was some serious talk I suppose about a Disney park in Australia. It doesn't do much to confirm, or deny, the White Bay rumours at all, but I suppose that's another issue. Doing a feasibility study based on the Gold Coast I suppose also makes sense given that is where most Australians go to Holiday and the weather is most favourable, only downside is the amount of Queenslanders :wink: .

We have discussed the many reasons why a park won't happen here in the past, the same reasons that have been mentioned in the blog as well, so it's safe to say that in the near future (ie 10-20 years), that we won't see any plans for an Australian park come to fruition. Shame, but that's the reality of it I suppose.

Perhaps if they plan for a small scale park with the focus on an entertainment precinct and resort style setup, as also mentioned in the blog, that would work, but even that would be ambitious in our market. That sort of project would be wasted on the Gold Coast, more something that would fit best in Sydney or Melbourne.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Is this for real or has some just been very clever with too much time on their hands? I don't know if the logos are very Disney in their execution.

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 am

Is this for real or has some just been very clever with too much time on their hands? I don't know if the logos are very Disney in their execution.
The logos are not real (they were put together by the Disney and More website) but the artwork and concept map is very real. I'm guessing they were put together by the organisation contracted by Disney to help them and the Qld government visualise potential ideas and possibly sell the concept to other investors. I'm betting that Disney has done this for many destinations - not just Australia, to test the waters with governments etc.
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 am

I think the logos were just drawn up by the author of the article.

It think it's interesting that the Queensland and Victorian governments funded some of the feasibility studies. Victoria? Never heard that before. The only Disney connection I'd ever head with Vic was their exhibit at Epcot for the Food and Wine festival.

With the predicted population boom in the next 40 years, I can dream that they will indeed build a Disneyland here in Sydney. Maybe I'll be able to get a job there in my retirement :)
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:33 am

Victoria? Never heard that before.
Lindsay Fox (head of Linfox transport) hosted Disney representatives in Melbourne a few years ago. He was trying to entice them to build a Disney Park near Avalon airport out at Geelong. Linfox owned the commercial passenger terminal at Avalon (where Jetstar fly into) and he was hoping to boost tourism through that airport. Also - there is plenty of flat unused land out there, so it would be a perfect spot to build a large resort...except that it is bitterly cold and windy in winter, and scorching hot in summer...

This idea didn't get off the drawing board.
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

there is plenty of flat unused land out there, so it would be a perfect spot to build a large resort...except that it is bitterly cold and windy in winter, and scorching hot in summer...

This idea didn't get off the drawing board.
Amen to that brother... having lived in Melbourne 10 years, let me just say that there is a reason that there is nothing out there but an airport... its the end of the earth and most inhospitable spot at the best of times. A theme park in Melb would never fly.

Lisa. */

PS: I seriously think they need to consider the Sunshine Coast... -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:55 pm

I would love to see a Disney resort in Australia but not something that is based on the magic Kingdom. We simply cant handle a park of that size. I would like to see a Disney holiday resort with its own rides and restaurants and waters park all in one big resort. Something totally different would be cool.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 pm

I agree Brizmarc.... a water park and shopping precinct/resort would be something that the 'average' Aussie would more likely embrace.

As much as I'd like to see a Magic Kingdom here, I don't think we have the population to support it yet. As long as they build it in QLd. :wink:

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Well now - who would take a pay cut to work there? Lets assume that it is near whereevr you live. Translating the US cast memeber wage for an entry level ride operator as being near the minimum wage say $18 an hour would you change your employer?

Now I wouldn't full time but I would consider changing to 4 days where I am now and work 1 day a week on the Haunted Mansion or ToT.

Of course I am super intelligent and talented :wink: so i would be a lead, supervisor, manager within short succession and be earning what i am now - then i would do it full time!

Sandie

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Well now - who would take a pay cut to work there? Lets assume that it is near whereevr you live. Translating the US cast memeber wage for an entry level ride operator as being near the minimum wage say $18 an hour would you change your employer?

Now I wouldn't full time but I would consider changing to 4 days where I am now and work 1 day a week on the Haunted Mansion or ToT.

Of course I am super intelligent and talented :wink: so i would be a lead, supervisor, manager within short succession and be earning what i am now - then i would do it full time!

Sandie
That's why I'd only do it in retirement, or when we're totally set up here and I don't really need to work (I can dream can't I?) :D
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

BrizMarc
C Ticket
C Ticket

Postby BrizMarc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 am

I would take a pay cut to work somewhere I love. I would just have to cut down on a few things like smoking and drinking. Its amazing what they add up to over a year. In fact i would dare work it out :lol:

RickGainsmith
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby RickGainsmith » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm

When Disneyland Los Angeles opened (1955) their was only 5,155,000 people, Melbourne has 4,000,000 people and growing faster than any Australian city. Melbourne is adding some 1500 people extra per week, even at this rate 5.1 million is 14 years away.

Predictions have Brisbane overtaking Melbourne by 2050 as the popultion ages, an incentive to invest in Tourism!!! More people who visit the more our population will grow.

Avalon would be good, monorail to the cbd, we can only dream...
Rick

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”