Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Extremist Catholic Priest takes a swipe at Disney?

The lastest news in the world of Disney
ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Extremist Catholic Priest takes a swipe at Disney?

Postby ajp » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:37 am

This was the first thing that I thought when I read that article on the news section about the Catholic Abbot in England's comments. Is this guy for real? I'm not going to turn this into a religious argument, not the time or place, but I would have thought the church in general (no matter what denomination) would support the basic premise of what Disney has to offer - and that is wholesome entertainment for the whole family. Heaven forbid if we encourage parents and children to share a common interest and entertainment and that our children are less exposed to the adult world for a little bit longer in their limted innocence. I'll leave it there for now. I was just amused and concerned with this article.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Extremist Catholic Priest takes a swipe at Disney?

Postby mushu mama » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm with you Anthony... it was with some incredulity that I read all that hogwash. He's obviously never been to Disneyland and seen all the family bonding going on.
And I consider myself to be very spiritual and my Disney 'thing' is not hampering that one iota.

Someone send him a ticket so he can see for himself the way Disney effects children of all 'makes and models'... able bodied, handicapped, ratbags and angels alike.

One of my closest friends up here has two amazing boys. Both autistic. Both of them and I have an amazing rapport that is centred around our shared love of Disney. You should see their faces when I 'travel' around the park with them on the maps I gave them recently. How can that be a bad thing?

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 am

There is no doubting that Disney is a shining example of consumerism. I need only look around my own house to see that I have fallen for it hook, line and sinker but I don't believe this is an either - or thing. I believe you can have an interest or even a passion but that doesn't automatically mean that you have abandoned your belief system. We are a very materialistic society and for many this has become a problem with debt and the getting of things becoming more important than relationships. Anything that hampers our ability to see what is important in life can be bad - Disney, golf, nascars, scrapping, the internet, money, work, drugs... the list is endless but it is about balance. We all need some escapism and what interesting lives we do lead because of this variety! Here endeth the sermon!

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:58 am

Well said! -/

It is the balance thats important. But as well as being a consumerist society, generally we have also become quite a judgemental society as well, and alot of the times we tend to view what others do, where it is different to our own beliefs and interests, to be not good or the wrong thing (I am speaking in the general human "we"). And I think this is the trap that this priest has fallen into. Because he doesn't believe in what many others do, and they may not be on the same train as he is, then they're all wrong and the Disney corporation is the root of all eveil in this regard.

At the end of the day though, this is but one man with one man's opinion. Generally people do what they want, when they want. Moderation is the key to everything and is the foundation for a balanced existance, and as long as we all live by that, what is wrong?
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Here endeth the sermon!
:lol: :lol:

loved that. Wish I'd thought of it.

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”