Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney Bans "Professional" Cameras from Disneyland

The lastest news in the world of Disney
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Disney Bans "Professional" Cameras from Disneyland

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:40 pm

Yep - that's right, a change to the entrance conditions for the Disneyland Resort area stipulates that
"Items not permitted include, but are not limited to: Professional cameras and recording equipment."
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyl ... AQPage#qa7

The problem is that it is difficult these days to differentiate from a professional camera and a hobbyist camera. Just this last weekend, security have been enforcing the rule and have be pulling up people with Digital SLRs such as Nikon D50s.

There is a thread on the subject over at DIS Boards - see here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1966875

So what do you think? Should people carrying in an SLR be pulled up by security? How will security draw the line? If you are there by yourself does that mean you should be singled out as a professional photographer as seems to be the case?

This is probably a storm in a tea cup - but it will be interesting to monitor in case stories of security harassment become more widespread on this issue.

I'm glad I have a point and shoot!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disney Bans "Professional" Cameras from Disneyland

Postby Mel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 am

Wow, that seems a bit extreme. If they are going to be strict, it makes me extra glad I got a point and shoot instead of an DSLR!!!
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 am

I've got a feeling this is a bit of a beat up. Having read those words on the Disney site, and the comments on the Disboards, it sounds as though disney are concerned with the use of the larger zoom lenses. The guy who posted didn't say that they didn't like his camera, it was his lens. And I know there is a growing trend toward the banning of non-accredited people using professional style zoom lenses. I know for example that VESA banned the large powerful zoom lenses going into any track, but will allow normal camera mounted zooms. At Disneyland, you would question would you would want to lug around a large obtrusive zoom lens anyway. We bought a 50mm fixed lens specifically for the parks, which we plan to test in January. I don't see any need for a zoom.

The tripod I understand though. I know that TDL have banned tripods and large camera bags as a safety move, so I reckon that would be the same thing in DL. Again, aside from video recording a show or fireworks at night, a tripod would be more of a hinderance than a help to be lugging around a park.

As I said, I think, it is an overreaction by some sensitive American who wanted something to complain about online and make a Matterhorn out of mole hill. I'll still be taking my DSLR in, sans zoom lens, on future trips and taking awesome photos!
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:28 pm

I can't say I like this much... mostly because I had big plans to take some kind of stabilizing something (be it tripod or monopod ) next time because it was the only thing between me and amazing shots of the castle at night. It didn't matter what I tried, without something stable to lean on, I didn't get the shots I really really wanted in DL. I guess I'll have to organise one of those highly irritating strollers next time just so I have something that doesn't wiggle to lean my camera on. Was there any mention of monopods? I was considering a retractable one of those next trip.

Lisa. :cat:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 pm

I've got a feeling this is a bit of a beat up.
Yep, sure is - and I was trying to beat it up as much as I could :)

I do know there are quite a few people who do excellent photography in the parks for websites such as Miceage etc - and they are not professional photographers (although they do have amazing SLRs with zoom lenses). They just want to share their passion for Disneyland with others like ourselves who cannot be there. I just hope those folks aren't prevented from doing so - hence disadvantaging all of us...
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:15 pm

It's interesting to think back to almost a year ago when I was at WDW and had security come up to me and question whether I was a pro photographer and look at me kind of suspiciously when I said I wasn't. I had a DSLR with a decent zoom on it and wasn't shy about taking lots of photos. Maybe I'm the cause of all this. :oops:

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 pm

All right - this story is doing the rounds of the internet community now. Hats off to Britt Dietz (who, if you don't know, runs a great website called http://www.disneycastmagic.com/ featuring Disneyland character photos) who has kindly provided some information relating to the new ban in a forum post on Micechat. Apparently the ban is related to any lens great than 6 inches. His original post explaining it can be found here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-r ... ost3165022
Keith

Trip history:

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:00 am

So the lens has to be under 15.4 cm (to convert it to something I understand. The zoom I have on my camera now is an 18-55 and is only 11cm long and the lens that I am drooling over at the moment is an 18-250 and is even shorter at 8.5cm. Plus, attached to my pentax the 18-250 has an effective focal length of about 388 which is more than sufficient for what I need. That's a relief!

I guess they just had to come up with some arbitrary figure with the 6inch thing because I can get in with what is basically a 388 zoom lens and it is well under the requirement.

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am

18-250! That sounds like a very useful lens.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:27 am

18-250! That sounds like a very useful lens.
Yep, perfect for travel photography. It's also smaller and lighter than the 18-55 I'm using so it's easier to fit in the bag and to carry around. The only problem is the $650 price tag. :(

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 am

Yeah I can see how the price may be little hard to come to. Although for a lens as flexible as that, it's a small price to pay. I'm sure if you can't get it for under $600 you're not trying. I intend to price some lenses in Japan to see what we can get and for what price.

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:02 am

Funnily enough I looked all over Singapore and Hong Kong for this lens, figuring it would be cheaper, and couldn't even find it.

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:56 am

Greg, have a read of this article. It is CANON focussed, but what he says would be valid for lenses in general. He makes some very good points about types and size of lenses for travelling etc.

http://pic.templetons.com/brad/photo/dslrlens.html

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:43 am

One of the hottest debates on the camera forums I read from time to time is the "zoom vs prime" thing. There are probably just as many people out there saying that the quality of a good zoom is comparable to a good prime.

I've sent the following photo I took at WDW into a magazine contest because the prize is the exact lens I want.

Greg

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 am

Good luck with the photo.

Before reading that article I thought I knew what I wanted, after I'm not so sure now. But one thing that did please me was that the lens I bought recently - the 50mm f1.4 he did say that every one should have. And what he said about it was spot on. We hardly take it off the camera at the moment, the shots are clear and crisp, with great colour and light.

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”