Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Disney to hold press conference next week

The lastest news in the world of Disney
Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Disney to hold press conference next week

Postby Mel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm

I agree with you both :) I don't think we need an extra celebration, being at Disney is enough :) Obviously the powers that be at Disney think otherwise though. Maybe they've forgotten that there never use to be two-year year long 'events' all the time :lol:
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Although I have to say at the same time that whilst this promotion may be a little dull for "Disney Fans" like us, it is also quite brilliant from a money making perspective. Think of all the kids living in California who will be pulling on their parents sleeves saying "look, I can get in free on my birthday, can we go dad?" And of course - the whole family has to go...and spend :)

I think this is the angle Disney was working from, and it WILL work perfectly - not only that, it spreads out the visits across the entire year due to the law of averages on birthdays...will there be a quiet time next year? People still have birthdays in April and September-October!
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 pm

I can see it working for those who live close enough for a day trip but are you really going to travel from Ohio for a weeks vacation just because 1 person in your family gets 1 day out of the 5 days you will be there free?

I think there will still be quiet times - if you frequent the US boards you will know how "bad" it is to take your kids out of school for a vacation. I know when I said my kids were missing 6 weeks last year I was flamed to hell and back - it obviosuly has not hurt my kids who both have learnt so much on their trips but some county school systems over there will take legal action over parents who take their kids out for a week!

Sandie

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:30 pm

but some county school systems over there will take legal action over parents who take their kids out for a week!
Wow - how is that for a different culture! They should be encouraging parent to take kids on holidays - especially overseas! My early childhood trips gave me an interest in the lands beyond the borders of Australia - there is so much out there to see and learn that you cannot see from the insulation of the classroom :)
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

calisota
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby calisota » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:23 am

Maybe we need to look at it from the other side.

We would go to Disney regardless, it doesn't matter if there was some promotion or other on or not, we are not going to be swayed. But if you are an average family and you are going from small town america somewhere to the big smoke of LA or Orlando and you have to make the decision of which theme park to spend your hard earned dollars in then any little thing may be enough to push you over the edge. It may all come down to pros and cons for some families.

Greg
Chiang Mai Pickleball Club Play Pickleball in paradise

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:32 am

I do not disagree Greg but I think if the family members birthday falls outside of school holidays they won't go if they have school aged children. One day we were in the food court at Port Orleans and the kids were doing their school work. I lady came up to me and asked why I made my children study in vacation time and when I explained that they wre doing home work as they were missing school she was mortified that I cared so little for their education. I doubt the general family would consider traverlling o/s a learning experience as it is quite obvious most of the parents have no idea that the world exists outside their own borders.

eg:

"Sydney? is that in the north or south of England"
"What is your kangaroo named?"
"Was Steve Irwin your relative?" followed by absolute shock when Peter politely pointed out that out of the 20 million Australians we probably only know 1000

Also if you are travelling with your family to WDW for 1 week and spending $300 per person on tickets for a family of four is saving $50 really going to sway you to go? I guess I do disagree :D

Sandie

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:00 pm

Sandie is right about the 'not to take your kids out of school' thing. They are quite militant about that. They just about have heart failure to hear that most Australians think nothing of taking their holidays a week or two out of the 'school holiday' times so that its cheaper. Having said that, for those that are able to visit the parks without having to miss school will most likely take advantage of it... I know I would.

The whole thing was a bit 'blah' from the other side of the world perspective huh?

Lisa. -/
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

sandie
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby sandie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:10 pm

The whole thing was a bit 'blah' from the other side of the world perspective huh?
Yeah no Disney announcement has ever had that effect before! :roll:

We should have known better

Sandie

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”