Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Interesting Interview This Morning

The lastest news in the world of Disney
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Interesting Interview This Morning

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 am

There was an interesting interview this morning on Mix 106.5 in Sydney.

Todd McKenney and Sonia Kruger had Leila Smith - who is head of the Walt Disney Animation Studio Archives in the studio with them!

Leila talked about the video release cycle and why they do it. Apparently Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Lady and the Tramp are being retired soon to the vault. She also talked about the success of Disney movies (and the brand in general) as they are quality family oriented entertainment. She discussed how Walt conceived of the movie re-releases to engage the next generation of kids every 7 or so years (starting by his idea to re-release Snow White in the cinemas a few years after initial release).

She said that by retiring the films, it gives them plenty of time to search through their enormous animation archive for new material to add to their next release of the movie on DVD etc, and to restore the films to great quality for Bluray etc.

She debunked the whole Walt Disney cryogenic urban legend, but she did say that if there was anyone who should have done it, it should have been Walt!

She talked about the corporation's dealings with the Disney family and how, although separate, the corporation tries to adhere to Walt's philosophy of maintaining a family and quality focus. She also discussed the construction of the Walt Disney family museum in San Francisco (and if you come to the next DUD meeting - you'll get a sneak peak of that museum!).

So there you have it, an interview with Leila Smith - head of the Walt Disney Animation Archives - live in Sydney. I wonder if she is related to Dave Smith who is the founder and Director of the Walt Disney Archives?
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: Interesting Interview This Morning

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:14 am

Wow, that is an interesting topic for a radio interview. What was she really doing here is my question?

And obviously if you haven't added Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp and Alice to your DVD libraries now would be the time to do so.

Walt's not frozen? :shock:

And Dave Smith is someone I'd love to have a chat with. What an amazing job he has. I bet he could tell you a story or two as well. I always loved his articles in the Disney magazine - and they are still a go-to reference when I need to know something.

Lisa. */
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 am

What was she really doing here is my question?
That was also my unvoiced question! I couldn't believe they'd send her here just to tell retailers that those three films were being pulled...that happens all the time anyway! I did a quick internet search just in case she was giving talks to animated film students some where, but I couldn't find anything like that. Maybe she was taking possession of what ever artwork was left in warehouses from the old Walt Disney Animation Studio in Sydney?
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 am

Nothing to do with possible expansions in the Disney boutique hideaways around the world do you suppose? Although, I guess she's about art and stuff isn't she?

Thats interesting just the same... it still seems like an odd type of interview for a radio program more likely to be talking about everyday Aussie stuff. And with someone so high up the rungs of the company too.

Lisa. :cat:
1999- Tokyo DL, 2008- DLR/Cal Adventure, 2012-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2013-Tokyo DLand/Sea, 2014-DLR/Cal Adventure, 2015- Paris DL, 2016 - WDW/Disneycruise , upcoming - May 2018 - HongKong DL

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:21 am

it still seems like an odd type of interview for a radio program more likely to be talking about everyday Aussie stuff.
I have to say that both Todd M and Sonia K have an affinity for Disney. Sonia even mentioned she did a tour of the Walt Disney Animation Studios once and obtained a cell from an animator. And Todd was talking a couple of weeks ago about how much fun it would be to do a Disney cruise.

I don't think we can tie the visit to any Australian announcements - Leila is in archives, not business development or Parks & Resorts. My bet would be she is doing a presentation at university, film school, or something like that. Or... maybe arranging for a Walt Disney exhibition in Australia?? She was instrumental in putting together the Once Upon a Time exhibition in Paris and Montreal a few years ago (I looked her up on the internet!) hmmm...maybe? We saw it in Paris and it was great! And given the success of the Pixar exhibition in Melbourne... :D
Keith

Trip history:

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 pm

yep, you're probably right...

that'd be great to have another exhibition here... I would love to see something like that seeing as I missed the Pixar one.

Lisa. */

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Sounded like a fascinating interview. When I first read this thread I thought, why would Todd McKenny and Sonia Kruger be doing an interview like this, and on all stations Mix FM. But then this comment
I have to say that both Todd M and Sonia K have an affinity for Disney
made a little more sense. I don't know the answer, but is there a corporate connection between CH7 and Mix FM? 7 are the Disney free to air station in Australia (it would seem) so it would make sense for this connection as well.

That library in San Francisco is on our must do list when next we're there (who knows when that'll be :cry: ). I suggested to a work colleague of mine who was there a couple of weeks ago to drop into the Presidio and see what it's like, I don't think he did but I can hope. Although I couldn't talk him into more than 3 days at the DLR, in mid summer, so not much chance.

It would be good to get an exhibition in Australia, and in particular, Sydney from the animation archives. We would be seeing some fascinating stuff for sure.
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm

is there a corporate connection between CH7 and Mix FM?
Good question - I didn't think so, but Todd and Sonia are both on Channel 7 - so there may be something in that.

I think they both hold some admiration for the works of the Disney company - they may not be die-hard fans, but they weren't nay-sayers, that's for sure.
Keith

Trip history:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”