Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

DCA $1billion Expansion

The lastest news in the world of Disney
KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

DCA $1billion Expansion

Postby KeithS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:22 pm

If you haven't already read it, here is the official Disney press release about the expansion to Disney's California Adventure. All I can say is "Wow!" :)

I can't wait to catch a red trolley car down the new DCA Main Street - or go on a race through Radiator Springs. This is really going to make this park something special.

http://dudisneyana.info/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=27

Some of the new artists renderings are below:

Scene from Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land

The Carthay Circle Theatre in the new DCA hub at the end of Main Street

Scene from the new Little Mermaid attraction in Paradise Pier

Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:54 am

For DCA and the wider DLR this is fantastic news. I have been a supporter of DCA and how it is different and more relaxed than DL, but by bringing a little of DL to the park can't be bad either. The "Main Street" influence on the entrance and the inclusiuon of the theatre sounds much improved on what's there now.

One thing I could never understand was the significance of the sun in the whole scheme of things (yeah I know California and Golden Sun etc, but to me is still didn't fit). What I'm most looking forwrard to seeing is the new water and light spectacular on the water. All the press states that it will be bigger and better than Fantasmic, which is a big call, and with no people or pyrotechnics, it all sounds intriguing.

I've got no problem with the heavy influx of Pixar movies stuff either, because when it comes down to it DL was built from and for movies generally, so no reason why DCA can't ride the back of Pixar. And given that The Little mermaid is going in, tends to water down the Pixar Land image that no doubt some doomsayers will label on it. I hope they also put the little mermaid partly on the lake as well. They have such a large expanse of water they could be using, so why not make the most of it. But having said that, photos of Screamin and the Sun Wheel using the water for reflection day and night are mighty spectacular.

Anyway, I may leave all my comments for another time and place ... :wink:
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 pm

I don't usually link to other websites, however our good friends over at Micechat have tracked down a whole bunch of heretofore unreleased artwork for the new DCA available on this thread:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthre ... 53p13.html

Run there now - don't dawdle! (And be ready to be amazed!)

Oh yeah, and for those interested, here is a map of the park!
Keith

Trip history:

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:50 am

They did a mighty fine job of detailing what was happening at Micechat. They had someone at the staff briefing.

The only thing that I'm disappointed with is the location of Carsland. Our favourite place to stay is the Anabella, and to get to Dl, all we have to do is walk down the street, into the Timon and Pumba parking lot and catch the tram. We won't be able to do that now! Oh well, small price really ...
2023 Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Lines - Disney Wish. Going to be awesome to be back!

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Re: DCA $1billion Expansion

Postby KeithS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:10 pm

The new map of DCA has been unveiled - check it out and give us your thoughts!
Copyright 2008 Disney Enterprises
Keith

Trip history:

Mel
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby Mel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:39 am

I like it. I like it a LOT! Our next trip to the US (as you probably already know since I mention it ALL the time) will be in 2014 so all of this should be well and truly up and running by then. Carsland will be a big hit with Ben - and probably any other sons we have in the meantime - not to mention their father. Six years seems an awful long time from now, but gee it will be worth the wait -/
The Big Trip: DL, WDW and Disney cruise 2016

ajp
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby ajp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

I was wanting to see some photos and reports direct from the Preview Centre before I commented here. One thing to note is the map is quite loose and doesn't show some of the things like the planned undercover load area for Screamin' for example (which I think is a GREAT idea!).

On this map, the thing which struck me the most was the destruction of the current "Bay" area. Cars Land comes right over the top of that and it does appear that it also seems to cut into A Bugs Land a little as well. I like the Bay Area, only because it is one of those spots where you can go to just veg for a while, have something to east and later in the day get some decent live entertainment. But having said that things like the Tortilla shop and Bakery were a little "meh" in so far as adding much value. Once you've done it, they did get a little stale (pardon the deliberately used pun). And I am interpreting those brown wooden type buildings to be part of Cars Land by the way.

I'm looking forward to the entrance changes. By this plan, it looks like it may be a little "busier" or active than the current bland and dead entrance. I like the GG Bridge and will miss seeing that, but that's all they have. At least now we'll have buildings, shops etc and some movement with the Red Car rail thingy they're putting in. It will also seem to create less of a merge into the area where Soarin is.

I would like to have seen them do something with the Mono Rail into DCA, and I know that will cause alot of disruption, and hopefully in the long term they're considering that, but I think this is an opportunity missed.

The area down the back near the GCH is also looking positive. They've talked about a Beer Garden, and I suppose I was a little sceptical, as a Beer Garden in our pubs is an outdoor covered atrea with a couple of pot plants that allows us to have kids there and for people to smoke. But this appears to be a true garden with some lush vegetation and a nice spot to sit and unwind with a refreshing sherbet. Another quality eating place, not ala carte, but not plain old counter service either, would be a welcome addition to the park. What was there before was, well, not really appetising. Good theming, not quite so good food and facilities.

I think that's all the map offers. Some of the photos on MiceAge and other sites are worth checking out.

churros
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby churros » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:28 pm

I went to the preview center in DCA. Some great maps and information on the outside walls but the [insert unDisney word here] door wasn't open yet! :evil:

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Disney News”